Getting to Camp
Read this little blurb for suggestions on how to get to Feral, or if you just want meat and potatoes, skip to the header that best suits you!!
TL:DR VERSION (though please read, it's important):
- If you are flying or bussing into Toronto and planning to take the Feral! bus, ARRIVE BEFORE 11 am on August 22nd or even a day earlier
- Flying out, ensure your flight is AFTER 7 PM on August 26th or stay till the 27th
- We currently do not have a set location for bus pickup and drop off, but we will keep you informed through the site, social media, and emails!
FOR REAL REAL...
Feral! is unique in many ways. For one, the site is several kilometers from the nearest highway, which itself is many kilometers from a major route (the 400 Highway). In other words...it's remote! Another way we’re unique…we have a bus to get you to camp if you don’t want to drive yourself!!
There are two main ways to get to Feral…one is to take the Feral Bus, the other is to drive. We recommend the following:
- If you don’t have to drive, take the Feral! Bus. It is a unique experience; traveling with a group of furs to and from Feral on a school bus (in the past driven by both Potoroo’s elementary school bus driver, and once by his high school prom dates Mom!!). You leave the work to us for a low fee, and can relax at Feral a little more!
- If that isn’t an option, we highly suggest you try to travel with a group of furs! Make it a road trip, help save the environment, and save some gas money! If you don’t have anyone in your region to pick up, perhaps there’s someone en route! Use Twitter, Facebook, or even Feral Staff (contact any one of us for help) to locate a ride share mate!
- If you have to drive yourself, please make the time to drop by Yorkdale Mall where the bus picks up campers. That way you can meet up with everyone, meet the staff, and make the trip extra fun by joining the Camp Feral! Caravan!
Yup, probably one of the few furry cons where furs can take a bus, carpool, or caravan to their destination! Now...how to sign up for and catch the bus, and how to drive to camp!!
Traditionally, we depart from Yorkdale Mall. In 2012, a combination of construction and chaos meant that we had to load and unload at The Den (where half the Feral! staff lives or hangs out, a house near Yorkdale)
In 2013, we are trying to ensure we can pick up and drop off at Yorkdale Mall again.
We cannot set the pick up location in stone until we get the final OK from Yorkdale Mall. We will notify all registered campers the second it is set.
To ensure you get a ride on the bus, please read the following carefully:
- Register for the Feral bus online so we know that you are taking it…failing to do so may mean the bus is full and we’ll have to scramble to find you a seat elsewhere!
- If you did not pay for the bus online, please have your FULL REGISTRATION FEE in CASH available so you can pay on the bus. Please note, we cannot accept cheques, money orders, or credit cards after a week prior to camp.
- The bus, again, leaves at 2 PM SHARP!
- Campers arriving by plane should arrive before 12 pm! If you are purchasing your plane ticket now, we recommend you arrive a day early, or the morning of August 22nd.
- Campers arriving by train or bus should arrive in Toronto earlier than 12 pm as you will have to take transit to the bus location. Please contact Feral! staff with any questions.
- Ensure we have a correct cell phone number so that we can reach you if you have not arrived at the bus location. We are very laid back, but have a strict rule regarding the bus departure…otherwise, food is cold when we get to Arowhon!! If you are going to be late, please call one of the numbers we will supply you two weeks before camp in an email. If you are cancelling, CONTACT US! We will assume you are attending until you tell us you are not, which can lead to bus hold ups.
- Regarding that…2 weeks before camp we will give you staff cell phone numbers, and some will be specifically to contact regarding the bus…please PLEASE put them in your phones, or write them down, and protect them. They are your lifeline if you run into trouble. (Ask Potoroo to tell you sad sad late arrival stories!)
- We cannot guarantee that a Feral staffer will be able to stay late in the event that you arrive after 2 pm and have not contacted us in advance…we may not be able to guarantee someone can stay even if you contact us in advance! But we’ll try our best, because we luv you!
In other words, arriving in Toronto and making the bus is SERIOUS business, one of the very very few serious things about Feral!...so take it as seriously as you would bringing sunblock (serious), warm clothes (serious) and your desire to have fun (very serious…hey!)
If you would like to drive to Toronto, park, and take the Feral Bus PLEASE contact Feral staff in advance. Parking in Toronto is very expensive, and it might be better to try and find a fur with a house at which you can park!!
DRIVING TO CAMP:
Camp Arowhon has great directions on their site...we copy them here, or you can check them directly by clicking here.
How To Get to Camp from Toronto or the West:
Take Highway 400 North to Barrie. From Barrie follow Highway 11 North towards Huntsville. Just past Huntsville, take Highway 60 East for 33 km to the Algonquin Park entrance. Continue on Highway 60 after the Algonquin Park Permits & Information Centre for 16 km (approx. 10 mi.) until you reach Arowhon Road (just after the Canoe Lake cutoff). Turn left on the Arowhon Road. Follow the instructions below on how to get to camp on the Arowhon Road.
How to Get to Camp from Montreal, Ottawa or the East:
Take Highway 17 from Ottawa to Renfrew. At Renfrew, take Highway 60 West to Algonquin Park. Pass the East Gate and continue for 41 km to the Arowhon Road. Turn right on the Arowhon Road, and follow the instructions below on how to get to camp on the Arowhon Road.
How to Get to Camp on the Arowhon Road:
Follow the Arowhon Road for 5 km (approx. 3 mi.) to the crossroads. Turn LEFT at the crossroads where you will see a sign straight ahead that says “Arowhon Pines, you are entering a Wilderness Area. Only 3 km to go.” (Arowhon Pines is a hotel and a different location than Camp Arowhon). Pass the sign that says “road restricted to authorized travel” and continue over a long causeway and two bridges for 2.2 km (approx. 1.3 mi.) till you come to a ‘T’ intersection with a sand pit on your right. Turn right (if you come to a chain across the road, back up – you missed the right turn). Continue for 2 km (approx. 1.2 mi.) till you reach camp. Park in our parking lot and walk in to camp.
GPS co-ordinates to Camp Arowhon are: 45.595783,-78.730946
Please note: the trip to Arowhon is scenic and beautiful, and the drive from Hwy 60 to camp is very pretty and oft times one can even see a fox …but…it’s also pretty rough. If you have a pretty car you’d rather not get bounced around or potentially rock-flung…we highly suggest the Feral Bus ;)
We know this was a heavy read, but we hope you took the time to seek the info you need. The worst way to come to Feral is unprepared, and the only way to get to Feral is to...get to Feral! If you have any questions, concerns or comments, please contact us by the Suggestion Box or at email@example.com.